In regards to the closure of the IAC/shelter at Solutions for Change
Since we first opened our doors to homeless families 16 years ago, our goal has always been to be 100 percent privately funded, free from government money. We are only nine percent government funded, which is an incredible accomplishment for a non-profit of our size. Just before we could reach our goal, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) initiated new rules that would force us to allow active addicts into our program.
How YOU can help Solutions for Change:
1. Be an activist for us on Social Media to raise awareness of this issue. Please share and post our messages on your Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and Tumblr, and encourage your family and friends to do so as well. Make sure they understand that Solutions for Change is NOT closing, only the 90-day shelter. Be passionate and shout it from the rooftops!
2. Write a letter/an email or call to your Congressman*. It can be simple and heartfelt. ASK for immediate GAP funding for two years to make up for the lost funds for our programs. During that time Solutions Farms and other social enterprises will be able to make up for the loss of government funding.
3. Write a letter/call* the five North County Mayors asking the same- make your voice heard!
4. Help us with our “24” campaign. It costs $24 per day for one child in our programs. If 2000 people gave just $24 per MONTH for one year, we could turn down government funding, keep all of our programs open, giving us the time we need to bounce back from this hit.
5. Get ticked off. Stand up for our kids. “Active Addiction” is devastating to children. The homeless parents we help have made a huge commitment to stay sober and fight for their children with us here at Solutions. These new rules are being made by faceless policy makers who have no idea what the devastating outcomes will be for these kids. Do they really want to return these children to abusive and dangerous drug filled scenarios? Of course not, yet this is precisely the unintended consequences of these new regulations.
It must stop!
We will NOT give up on our parents who are fighting for their lives and their kids.
6. Pray that the decision makers visit Solutions for Change and speak to our families and hear how devastating this will be for them. Pray for our children and their parents. Pray for our employees and volunteers. Pray for our Board. Pray for Chris and Tammy Megison.
Thank you and God bless.